Discover the Career Value of Going Abroad
Going abroad provides students with a multitude of opportunities to develop the international skills that are becoming crucial for almost any career path.
We live in a global economy, and those students with cross-cultural skills will be better equipped to thrive in the global job market, both at home and abroad. The selection of articles below offers a comprehensive introduction to the value of international experience in a globalized economy. What are the implications of studying abroad on future career success? What are today's international employers really looking for? Check out the content below for answers to these and other questions.
Making the Connection Between
Study Abroad and Career Success
- IIE Report on the Impact of Studying Abroad: This report (Oct 2017) demonstrates the links between international educational experience and the critical skills needed for employment in today’s workforce.
- IIE's Generation Study Abroad "Why Study Abroad": Check out this page for factual and well-reasoned analysis on the career value of going abroad.
- The Erasmus Impact Survey: This independent study demonstrates that students with international experience are more successful upon graduation.
- The ROI of Studying Abroad: This infographic, while dated as 2011, demonstrates the value that still exists today.
- Faktaa Hidden Competences: This insightful report shows that employers don't always recognize the complete set of skills built and demonstrated by international experience. This is an important read for students, advisors and employers alike.
- This IES Survey shows college graduates who study abroad land career-related jobs sooner, with higher starting salaries.
- Student Comments About Jobs and Going Abroad: In this short video clip, produced by the US Department of State, university students currently studying in Latin America talk about how the experience has enhanced their future employment prospects.
- QS Global Employer Survey: This survey (which should be opened in Google Chrome for best results) describes and documents how international employersvalue international experience. The survey has seem major growth in employer responses wrodlwide over the last five years. More than 40,000 employers responded in 2022.
Have fun with all your go abroad endeavors -- and don't forget to maximize the career value of every experience abroad!