In A Rush? Read First
Choose your focus and zoom in on our most important articles fast. Focus on any one of The 4 BIG Things subject areas: international skills, getting experience, finding work, the professions. Also check out our overview file The Four Parts to Acquiring Global Career Skills.
Being international requires more than just wanderlust. Whether you’re encountering members of a foreign culture on a sightseeing trek, or applying for a professional position abroad, it’s your international skills that will set you apart from the crowd. Use these articles and resources to learn what skills internationally-focused recruiters are looking for, and what it takes to succeed abroad in a multicultural team. Start building your International IQ now.
- Why You Need International Skills
- What Is Your International IQ?
- Skills for Succeeding Abroad
- Showcasing International Skills on Your Resume
- Are You Ready for Life Abroad?
- Understanding Culture Shock
- What to Expect With Re-entry Shock
- Women in the International Workplace
- Understanding The North American Identity
- The World Online
International careers are built step-by-step over time. To build your International IQ, you’ll need to acquire multiple layers of international experience at home and abroad. You can start building your skills on campus by taking part in internationally-oriented activities, but there’s nothing more valuable than fully immersing yourself in a foreign culture. Use the articles and resources in this part of the guide to start planning your experience abroad.
- 10 Easy Ways for First-year Students to Build International Skills
- 24 Ways to Go International
- Career-Boosting Strategies for International Students Studying in North America
- Maximizing Your Travel Experience Abroad
- Funding Hacks: Going Abroad No Matter Your Budget
- The Go Abroad Application Process
- How to Apply for an Internship Without Ever Having Traveled Abroad
- How to Survive Your First International Internship
- Job Hunting During Your Internship
- How to Professionalize Your Working Vacation
- Career Tips for After Your Experience Abroad
- Teaching English As a Stepping Stone to Your International Career
- Career-boosting Strategies While Studying Abroad
- Language Learning and Your International Career
Preparation is the key to any successful job search. Whether you’re applying for an internationally-oriented position at home, or embarking on a career abroad, this part of the guide will help you research, apply for, and land the job you want. We particularly recommend reading Debunking the Myths: The Real Deal on International Work, which explains why a sector-oriented job search (as opposed to a country-specific one) is the ideal approach.
- The Ideal International Profile
- Debunking the Myths: The Real Deal on International Work
- Important Skills for the International Job Search
- Targeting and Researching International Jobs
- Your Online Presence
- The All-Important International Elevator Pitch
- An Inventory of Cross-cultural Skills
- Marketing Your International Experience to Employers
- Sample Resumes From MyWorldAbroad
The Professions outlines multiple sectors with long-term prospects. Learn how targeting internationally-focused employers in your home country can be a gateway to an international career, and learn to recognize the types of employers that regularly hire recent grads for international work. Whether you’re a first-year deciding on your major or a recent graduate entering the workforce, take some time and explore the advice and opportunities that this part has to offer.
- Top Tips: NGOs and International Development
- Top Tips: Teaching Abroad As a Licensed Teacher
- Top Tips: International Law Careers
- Top Tips: Engineering Careers Abroad
- Top Tips: Health Careers Abroad
- Top Tips: International Business
- Top Tips: Spousal Employment and Freelancing Abroad
- Top Tips: The 50+ Worker Abroad
- Top Tips: US Government
- Top Tips: Canadian Government
- Top Tips: United Nations & Other IGOs
Good luck with all your international endeavors!