Teaching English Abroad gives you all the basics about one of the most popular short-term professions abroad. Although Covid-19 has put a hold on many in-country programs overseas, you can still find online options for teaching English with students based in other regions of the world, which will help you boost your cross-cultural experience profile remotely.
- Teaching English can take you anywhere in the world: Almost every non-English speaking country in the world hires foreign English teachers for students of all ages and classes of all sizes.
- Use it to propel yourself into the global marketplace: Teaching English can lead to a wide variety of international careers and it allows you to develop extremely strong cross-cultural communication and management skills without committing to a lifelong career.
- Combine English and your area of interest for added career value: Teach English in combination with any subject (history, business, art, etc.) to foreign students and you will be doubling the career value of your teaching time.
- Be prepared for schoolhouse culture shock! Just because you are teaching English, doesn’t mean you won’t be immersed in a new culture – you’ll have to learn how to interact with your colleagues, adhere to local customs and speak the local language to get by comfortably.
- Learn from your students: Just because you are an authority figure in the classroom doesn’t mean you can’t learn from your pupils. They will be eager to tell you about their culture. Take advantage of that and you’ll get even more out of your teaching experience.
Related Articles on MyWorldAbroad (for registered users):